CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2008

From:
Jon Ekman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 15:39:53 -0600

I recently built an A1 using Ludl XY stage and Z motor, all controlled
through Ludl MAC 5000 controler. We use the system for stereology. If you
don't get the upgrade, the A1 is still a very flexible stand. Because we
cover a lot of disciplines here, our A1 was built to be capable of tiling,
z-stacking, time series, transmitted light imaging, polarized light imaging,
fluorescence imaging (Ludle 10 port filter wheels) and reflected light
imaging. If you go with the motorized versions and add the Axiovision
software for control along with Zeiss cameras I think you will be quite
happy.

We have an inverted Axiovert 200M that can do limited live cell work; it
also does everything the A1 does, except it only has five fluorescent
channels (no filter wheels) and uses Axiovision software. The key to success
with the Axiovision software is to buy the Zeiss cameras also. We have a
Roper EMCCD and a Zeiss Axiocam and there are features like shading
correction that are locked out of the multidimensional acquisition setup in
for the Roper camera making it harder to work with than the Zeiss camera.
You can still do shading correction it just takes more steps.

Both A1 and the Axiovert 200M are used quite heavily and require little
maintenance. When a part does break it can be exchanged at a significantly
reduced cost through a parts exchange program.

Cheers,

Jonathan M. Ekman

Imaging Technology Group

Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology University of Illinois
at Urbana-Champaign

405 N. Mathews Avenue

Urbana, IL 61801 USA

Tel: 217-244-6292