CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2010

From:
Julio Vazquez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 2010 11:02:29 -0700
Michal,

DNA damage has been achieved with a 405 laser on a laser scanning
confocal (such as in Bergink et al, Genes Dev 20: 1343-1352, 2006).
People have also had success with a Photonic Instruments Micro-Point
laser (Ayoub et al, Nature 453, 682-686, 2008). A FRAP of
photokinesis laser module from a variety of vendors will also work
fine. If you check the literature, you will see that different
wavelengths may induce different types of DNA damage, also depending
on which sensitizers you add to your cells, so doing a review of the
literature would be a good idea. A PubMed search for " laser DNA
damage" or similar will give you plenty to read. One review on
different laser irradiation methods was published recently (Kong et
al, NAR 37(9): e68-2009). Exact conditions will depend on your
samples and experiment... as usual for this type of work, I would
recommend using the most gentle settings that allow you to see a
response.

--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center