CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1996

From:
Aryeh M Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 16:12:21 +0000
I recently discovered that the notes I typed in when storing image files are
sometimes lost when I try to recover those notes later. I am not positive about
the reason, but it appears to me that the MRC-1024 stores these notes as
extended attributes under OS/2. THis means that they are *not* stored with the
PIC file. After compressing the file with a dos based zip program and erasing
them, or even transfering them to different (non OS/2) machine  and erasing,
they will be without those extended attributes when they are brought back. In
that case, the user supplied notes are lost.

1. Has this happened to anyone else out there? Is it documented?

2. Has anyone figured out if the extended attributes of an erased files can be
recovered? They may still be buried somewhere in a file called "EA DATA. SF",
but I cannot get at that file because of the spaces in the filename (oh, what I
would do for GNU emacs with dired mode...).

3. I recently brought over an OS/2 based ZIP utility. Does anyone know if it
will store the extended attributes in the zipfile?

4. When a fresh M/O disk is formatted, and then used to back up files, OS/2
warns upon copying that it cannot copy the extended attributes. Dpes anyone
know why this is -- on FAT file systems those attributes are stored in a file
called EA DATA. SF . Why can it not write such a file on the M/O drive, and how
can I  prepare the disk to accept such a file (the disk which came with the
machine did not have this problem).

Any information, especially from OS/2 experts, would be most welcome. I will
summarize responses and post solutions. In any case, it is important that
MRC-1024 users not depend on the notes which they write as comments during file
save or during the definition of a Z-series.

--aryeh

--
Aryeh Weiss                          | email:     [log in to unmask]
Department of Electronics            |