CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2007

From:
"Miller, Jason" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2007 20:10:47 -0800

Hi Ohkyung-

It seems like this could be one of two things- either the first dichroic
that is available on the Zeiss META channel ((UV/488/543/633) or the
pins that are put in place for the Zeiss scope to prevent reflected
light from hitting the META PMT array. The initial dichroic for the META
channel will reflect the indicated wavelengths of light onto the sample
and block those wavelengths from reflecting back off the sample and
transmitting through the detection beampath. So in the setup you are
using, they are set up to block light at whatever the indicated UV
wavelength is, the 488 wavelength, the 543 wavelength, etc. That can
create the partial "dips" in your spectra. Are the dips at these
approximate wavelengths? If you are exciting with 350 nm light, you
certaintly don't need a dichroic that includes the wavelengths of 488,
543, and 633- do you have another dichroic available in the turret? The
other possibility involves the pins that are put in place for the META
detector when multiple laser lines are on at the same time. I believe
(and I know this list has discussed this before) that when any given
laser line (e.g. 514 nm) is turned on, a blocking pin is put in place
after the prism dispersion element of the META channel that diminishes
the amount of 514 light that reaches the detector. This is generally a
quite helpful feature since reflected light from the laser will
overwhelm your PMT, even with appropriate other filters in place (the
META detector is the one instance where one may be using an excitation
wavelength that is NOT below the wavelengths are you detecting in
emission, so reflected laser light is a big concern). But it also causes
these dips in spectra that make them not line up with published spectra.
This isn't a problem if your "control" spectra for spectral unmixing was
also taken with the same "track" and settings.

-Jason

-------------------
Medical Scientist Training Program (MD/PhD)
University of California- San Francisco

Home Address:
1434 Lakeshore Ave., Apt #8
Oakland, CA 94606
Home: (510) 625-1334
Cell: (415) 225-2134
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Quote for the month:
Brain: an apparatus with which we think we think.
- Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)