CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2006

From:
Haridas Pudavar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:43:37 -0400

Hi,
I haven't used Zeiss Meta system and am not sure about  spectral
response curve of the system.

But as far as I know, most of these spectral detection  systems are
calibrated only for
 wavelength accuracy. Not for spectral response.
We were  using a mixture of  UV excited  dyes to make a broad band
spectra sample
and measuring the spectra using a  spectrofluorimeter with spectral
correction. Then use the same
dye solution under your microscope and measure the spectral profile.
But important thing is to remember that when you use a *mixture of
dyes*, depending on excitation
wavelength and whether single photon or two photon, the emission spectra
can be different. So one
has to use the same excitation wavelength for both systems.  Since we
have a 405 nm diode laser in
the microscope, we were able to use 405nm excitation in both microscope
and fluorimeter. We
were using the ratio  of the obtained spectra after normalization as a
response curve to measure the
unknown spectra.
But one problem is that,  if you use 405nm excitation for estimating
correction, the 405 reflection
mirror's transmission is included in the correction.  When you switch to
another excitation wavelength,
it has a different dichoric mirror in path. So still, the whole
instrument response curve will be slightly
different for each mirror in path.
Haridas

PS. Now, many of the spectrofluorimeters are also not corrected and you
may have to make sure
that they have a response correction factor incorporated in the
software. If not there are
some protocols available from the manufactures for using Rhodamin B or
such dye solution to
estimate the correction factor.

--
Haridas Pudavar, Ph.D.
Inst. for Lasers, Photonics & BioPhotonics,