CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2004

From:
cellscience <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 18:56:21 +0200

Dear confocalists,

Please excuse this interruption, we do apologize for posting company
information on the listserver, we do not intend to use this as an area to
serve our needs - we feel, however, that many of the members of this
listserver might be interested in the following information.

Carl Zeiss proposes to transfer core technologies from the UK based
CellScience division to Jena, Germany ? Provision of service and upgrades
to be continued

Following an extensive five-week business review, Carl Zeiss proposes to
consolidate its product line by discontinuing the production of the
CellScience product lines Radiance, Clonis and CellMap. Service of existing
CellScience products as well as the provision of upgrade possibilities will
continue to be available through the improved global support network
resulting from the acquisition. It is also proposed that key technologies
should be integrated into the Carl Zeiss Advanced Imaging Microscopy (AIM)
product portfolio.

"In addition to the continuity in the provision of service and upgrade
possibilities for the existing installed base, customers will find the key
technologies of the former Bio-Rad Cell Science Division integrated into
the Carl Zeiss product platform in the near future. Thus, the suggested
move is expected to considerably accelerate future advances in confocal and
multiphoton microscope instrumentation at Carl Zeiss. With the proposed
concentration of technological and application expertise in one place, we
expect to gain maximum synergy effects across the complete Carl Zeiss AIM
portfolio," says Dr. Ulrich Simon, head of the Microscopy Group at Carl
Zeiss.

Further information is available in the internet at
www.zeiss.de/cellscience .

We know that this proposal undoubtedly will result in harsh criticism upon
us. However, the proposal is not driven by short-term success, but by
thorough investigation of the situation and long-term goals. It is based on
the aim to have a long-term, unified, and top-of-the-line product portfolio
while maintaining the best working environment for as many employees as we
can, and the best customer support we can provide. It would have been so
much easier to present a non-controversial decision and simply strive for
the maximum return in the shortest amount of time. However, this is not the
Carl Zeiss way. At this stage, we feel this is the correct course to take
for the long-term.

We do want to get feedback from you, our customers, on how this will affect
you, what we could do to help you, what your opinion is? Please send
directly to [log in to unmask] (please include your complete name,
address, phone number, system type, and serial number). We will not
communicate directly via this listserver.

We do hope for your support and encouragement. But, we understand that this
is something we need to earn. We will strive to convince you!

Carl Zeiss Microscopy Group