CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 1996

From:
Aryeh M Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 1996 08:20:56 +0000
Does anyone have ideas or pointers to references on fluorescent temperature
probes, for measuring intracellular  changes in temperature?

Once upong a time I found that sulforhodamine-B (SRB) showed an easily measured
temperature dependence in solution around 25-35 degrees C. This dependence did
not exist with sulforhodamine 101 (SR101). I assumed that this is because in
SR101 the nitrogens are rigidized by two aliphatic rings each, whereas in SRB
the nitrogens can rotate.

I thought to use this phenomenon to look at temperature changes, but I realize
that I will probably bleach the dye and this will hide the affect of
temperature change. So I would be better off with a dye that changes its
spectral characteristics as a function of temperature, and allows for a
wavelength ratio measurement. Sensitivity of 0.5 degree C will do for starters.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

--aryeh

--
Aryeh Weiss                          | email:     [log in to unmask]
Department of Electronics            |