CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2015

From:
WHEELER Ann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2015 22:47:18 +0000

Hi Valeria

We do a lot of FISH at the IGMM in Edinburgh and use various probes which are commercial or homemade with weaker signals.

Although CCD may be a bit old school we find the Coolsnap HQ2 to suit our needs very well as we do multi-colour FISH where we need to compare expression across 2 different fluorophores. Some of the newer sCMOS and EMCCD cameras don't have the nice flat Quantum efficiency that the HQ2 affords across the visible spectrum. It has smaller Pixels than EMCCD which we need for resolution and none of the fixed pattern noise which needs to be corrected (even on a Flash4). So for multicolour FISH it does well.

The jury is still out as far as I am concerned with SIM and FISH. You need a good signal or SIM won't work so well and there are artefacts in image reconstruction which need sorting out carefully - particularly with weaker signals. We're considering 2D TIRF SIM for the improved resolution.

Hope this is of some use,  there is a very recent paper in Genes and Development about how we have done our FISH imaging which may be of use.

Ann

Dr Ann Wheeler
Head of Advanced Imaging Resource
Institute of Genetics and Molecular Medicine +  ESRIC
University of Edinburgh
EH4 2XU
UK