CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 1997

From:
Larry Stoter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 08:56:37 +0000
>   I have been told that confocal-like images with optical sectioning
>capability can be obtained without using laser confocal microscope hardware.
>One obtains images using a standard microscope and ccd camera as one steps
>along in z (ie numerous changes in focus).  These blurred images are
>processed together along with the point spread function for the optical
>system to produce in-focus images at the numerous z-planes.  Can someone
>tell me:
>
>1.  Where I can find a good description of this approach.
>2.  Where I can obtain (free? buy?) the deconvolution algorithm.
>3.  If there is an accepted name for this approach.
>4.  What are the tradeoffs between the hardware and software approaches
>        in x, y and z resolution and acquisition time.
>
>Thank you in advance for any asssistance
>
>        Lauren M. Peterson  (313) 994-1200 Ext 2284
>        ERIM                (313) 994-5704 FAX
>        Letter Address:         P.O.Box 134001
>                                Ann Arbor, MI  48113-4001
>        Package Address:        1975 Green Rd.
>                                Ann Arbor, MI  48105-2554
>        Electronic Mail -- Internet:

You might want to look at:

Hai-Shan Wu et al.
A focusing algorithm for high magnification cell imaging.
J. Micr., 184(2), 133-42, Nov 1996.

Not quite what you are looking for perhaps but related. It describes a
method for taking a series of images at different focus settings (and thus
different depths), and then recombining into a single, in-focus image.

Regards,

Dr L. P. Stoter          Technical Editor, MICROSCOPY & ANALYSIS
Technesis
17, Rocks Park Road      email: [log in to unmask]
Uckfield, E. Sussex      Phone: +44 (0)1825 766911
TN22 2AT                 Fax:   +44 (0)1825 766911
United Kingdom