CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2011

From:
Keith Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Nov 2011 10:43:51 -0000

Hi Guy,

The Zeiss 510, unlike the new Zeiss 710 confocal, has three pinholes so you
can adjust the confocal pinhole for each fluorochrome/channel, assuming you
aren't using the MetaHead for a couple of channels when you are forced to
share detector gain and pinhole.

The LMS-510 software reports the Airy diameter and the optical slice
thickness for the objective in use, i.e.  with Airy=1: the optical slice is
reported as 0.9um for TRITC, 0.7um for FITC and 0.6um for DAPI when using
our 63x objective [Zeiss Plan Apochromat NA 1.4 oil]. As you say the optical
slice varies for the wavelength, so as we have adjustable pinholes on the
Zeiss we can adjust the DAPI and FITC channels confocal pinholes to a
slightly higher Airy number [Airy=1.25 and 1.5] to give the same optical
slice thickness for each fluorochrome [so all fluorochrome configs are set
to a 0.9um optical slice]. We don't have to think about it too deeply as the
LMS-510 software tells us all the numbers, as it knows the objective,
fluorochrome etc... The fluorescent beads mentioned in my posting were
scanned in the TRITC red channel.

As I say the lowest limit of our Axiovert 200M z-motor step is a 0.05um
step, around 50nm. In practice for 'quality' z stack scans most Zeiss 510
users generally select the standard Zeiss LMS-510 2x oversampling option in
Z-stacks with fixed cells [as it's an easy software button], which sets the
steps to half the LMS-510 calculated optical slice while keeping the same
first/last z slice location.

Regards

Keith

Dr Keith J. Morris,
Molecular Cytogenetics and Microscopy Core,
Laboratory 00/069 and 00/070,
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics,
Roosevelt Drive,
Oxford  OX3 7BN,
United Kingdom.

Telephone:  +44 (0)1865 287568