CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2000

From:
Robert Zucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2000 09:38:23 -0400
Rob
I think you may want to add that you need alot of memory to run the Leica TCS 3D
program. Without Memory it the program behaves as a real old dog.  We initially
had 128 megs which was vastly inadequate. We now have 384 Megs which makes it
adequate. the more memory the better. This  is essential.
Bob

Robert M. Zucker, PhD
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
MD 72
National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, 27711
Tel: 919-541-1585; fax 919-541-4017
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

|--------+-------------------------->
|        |          cr.nih.gov      |
|        |                          |
|        |          05/16/00 08:42  |
|        |          AM              |
|        |          Please respond  |
|        |          to CONFOCAL     |
|        |                          |
|--------+-------------------------->
  >-------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                       |
  |       To:     [log in to unmask]      |
  |       cc:                                             |
  |       Subject:     Re: imaging software               |
  >-------------------------------------------------------|

The software you currently use to collect images is reasonably powerful
(particularly if it includes the 3D features) but hopelessly
user-unfriendly and antiquated in its interface, and is in some respects
rather "buggy".  However, not to fear!  You can export your image files as
TIF images for import into other, more intuitive programs.  Of course, you
must BUY these programs....
The other option would be to schedule a training session with your Leica
applications person.  The bad news here is that you will never see all the
tricks to the software in one afternoon, and that very few people on the
face of the planet know how to use the software effectively.
The 4D software reminds me of my Polish instructor's comments on learning
that language.  He said there are two kinds of people speaking Polish:
those born in Poland and those learning Polish :) :)
Now for my little plug so that certain folks do not get enraged - the
software on Leica machines AFTER the 4D is quite nice.....

>Hi everyone,
>
>We are currently using a Leica TCS 4D confocal scope.  We were
>wondering if anyone else uses the same (or similar) system, and
>specifically what imaging software is available.  We are using
>eukaryotic cells grown in monolayers, and labelling (so far) with
>rhodamine and FITC.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Peter Flett, Ph.D.
>Department of Microbiology,
>University of Guelph,
>Guelph, Ontario
>N1G 2W1
>Canada

Robert J. Palmer Jr., Ph.D.
Natl Inst Dental Craniofacial Res - Natl Insts Health
Oral Infection and Immunity Branch
Bldg 30, Room 308
30 Convent Drive
Bethesda MD 20892