CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2012

From:
Aryeh Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2012 16:34:18 +0300

Thank you for many list members who responded on and off-list.

I can summarize the responses as follows:

1. Some suspect the AOTF and/or the AOBS. Although other lasers do not
exhibit the problem, these devices are tuned for each line. However, the
fact that this problem occurs for each of the 4 argon lines, and not for
561 , 594 and 633, makes me doubt it is the AOTF.

2. Some suggest thermal issues. I checked the fans, and they all work
(if they did not, that laser would shut down pretty fast). However, I
cannot rule out a faulty thermal sensor, and am contacting Lasos to see
how this can be checked.

3. I ran some scans with a fluorescent plastic slide. The results are
uploaded to http://cl.ly/3K1L1S321925 . This is a LIF file, so you need
a LIF reader for it. ImageJ will do, but it is easier to see the
metadata with LAS Lite. Seems hard to find, but this link seems ok:
http://cifweb.unil.ch/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=26&Itemid=57
This time I included the transmitted light images, which show the same
effect. I think I can rule out photobleaching. There are various
combinations of channels, simultaneous, and sequential scanning, using
488nm or 514nm (argon ion laser) and 561nm (DPSS laser).

I again thank everyone who responded, and will update on the list as I
obtain more information.

--aryeh
--
Aryeh Weiss