CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2008

From:
Gabor Csucs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:52:08 +0100
Dear Stephen,

I'd argue that photobleaching is a procedure which we barely understand.
Most of the observations/rules are purely empirical and so far I have
seen no comprehensive description of the procedure. Furthermore (as
always) the details may be dependent also on the specific dye/fluorophore.
But back to your question: of course the reactive species created in a
photobleaching experiment will harm also other proteins (or generally
the cell). However, the overall assumption is that your
bleaching/recovery experiment happens in a much faster time scale then
the corresponding cytotoxic effects. Of course there are
processes/methods like CALI (Chromophore Assisted Laser Inactivation)
where people used the "immediate" effect of the putative reactive
species (as far as I know also CALI is a poorly understood procedure).

Greetings    Gabor

--
Gabor Csucs
Light Microscopy Centre, ETH Zurich