CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2008

From:
Jeremy Adler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:40:11 +0100
A recent paper by Hell et al argues that bleaching is increased by a second photon hitting a molecule that is in the triplet state.
They demonstrate that pulsed exictation, when the interval between pulses is sufficient for molecules to escape from the triplet state, produces greater fluorescence for a given amount of bleaching.

Major signal increase in fluorescence microscopy through dark-state relaxation

Gerald Donnert, Christian Eggeling, Stefan W Hell

SUMMARY: We report a substantial signal gain in fluorescence microscopy by ensuring that transient molecular dark states with lifetimes >1 ?s, such as the triplet

Nature Methods 4, 81 - 86 (01 Jan 2007),

Jeremy Adler
Cell Biology
The Wenner-Gren Inst.
Arrhenius Laboratories F5