CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2008

From:
Ella Tour <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2008 17:03:55 -0700

Dear Confocalists,

I would greatly appreciate your advice on the topic I don't know much about:
I am imaging several proteins belonging to a Hox group of
transcription factors, which regulate multiple (hundreds) of genes by
specifically binding DNA on single and clustered sites. I visualize
these proteins using indirect immunofluorescence (primary polyclonal
and secondary antibodies fused to Alexa dyes) in fixed Drosophila
embryos and image them on Leica SP2 confocal microscope At high
magnification, 63X and higher, these transcription factors appear as
foci, or speckles, within the nucleus. I observe this speckled
localization with a variety of antibodies against several
transcription factors. After deconvolution using Autoquant software,
these foci become even more profound, about 60 of them per nucleus.
Now here are my questions:
Are these foci real or an artifact (of fixation, for example)?

If they are real, are they just random clusters of proteins inside
the nucleus or do I actually observe clusters of transcription
factors bound to their DNA target sequences?

Does anybody have an estimate of how many proteins need to be
clustered together in order to be detected with polyclonal
antibodies/secondary antibodies with 5-6 fluorophores each, in fixed
tissue (about 10-20 microns under the coverslip)?

I realize that some of these questions will probably not have general
answers ( that is, the answers will vary depending which
transcription factor and which system one is working with), but any
input from people who image transcription factors or any referrals to
the relevant literature will be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Ella Tour

--

Ella Tour, Ph.D.
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, 0349