CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2002

Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:13:44 EDT
On my new SP2 I get terrible transmission images which vary all over in
brightness, even in the middle of single scans.  When I slide the polarizing
filter out of the way on the base of the microscope, it all becomes clean and
stable.

We are chasing other polarity problems within the system which has caused
wide swings in HeCd intensity, and it took Leica months to figure out.  They
should be installing the fix next week.

You may want to try messing with polarizers in your system, in case you can
find an improvement by trial and error.  I don't know if you can scan
reflection and trans at the same time, but a comparison of the two may give
clues as to which side of the specimen the fault is on.

Good luck,

David Carter
Academic Coordinator (Imaging)

Center for Plant Cell Biology (CEPCEB)