CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 1998

From:
John Blinco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 14:32:13 +0800
Hello fellow confocalists,
        I guess only those familar with the Bio-rad system or OS2 warp 3
need read on, unless your really interested. sorry for the length, i
thought it best to get it all out in one go.
        I have a Biorad MRC 1024es and Lasersharp v3 and a couple of
problems that noone seems to know the answer too. I am hoping that someone
out there has the same problem and has a solution.

1) The lasersharp software makes you select the objective you are using in
aquistion. But is there a way to edit the biorad pic file if i had the
wrong lens selected?  ie i was using a 4x when the 20 was selected. This
is important as the software then gets all the image info wrong such as
scale bars, z scale and it wont let you overlay imges from apperently
different objecives. I have a hunch that maybe swapping the 76 byte header
from a file which has the correct lens (and number of images etc) might
work so that i dont have to re-collect the z series. Someone also sugested
that the old comos ? software might allow me to do this. Or has anyone out
there created a simple program/protocol for editing the file ?

2) those of you using Lasersharp (and OS2) may use the notes function.
However these notes are lost when i write the files to a CD from an NT
fileserver across the network. Lasersharp can still read the notes from
the harddisk, but cannot read the notes on the files freshly burned to CD.
Bio-rad says the notes are  an OS2 function, but i still need to at least
backup the files i already have (several hundred). so....
 a) has anyone come up with a method of backing up the pic files with the
notes?
 b) is there a way to retrieve the notes info and print it out?
 c) is there a way to print the screen information from the file open
dialoge in os2 (remembering that the biorad system can use the printscreen
button)
 n.b. when i say notes i mean the user comments that can be entered when
saving a file, not the image collection info that you get.
 And of course i am going to use an old fashioned pen and paper in future,
but right now i need help to recover a lot of important image info.

Absolutely ANY ideas will be appreciated, and i am very interested in
peoples solutions to this problems.

Thanks,

John Blinco ([log in to unmask])
Western Australian State Agricultural Biotechnology Centre
Department of Science
Murdoch University
Western Australia 6150
Ph-(08) 9360 6109