CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 1993

From:
"Y. S. Prakash" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1993 10:11:51 CST
Hi!

        I don't know too much about the Vaytek software, but here at Mayo, we
use a package called ANALYZE, which was developed right here at the Biomedical
Imaging Resource for Mayo.  It was primarily meant for processing CT, MRI and
PET images.  But its functionality has expanded far beyond its original purpose.

        I know this sounds somewhat like a public relations talk, but ANALYZE
DOES have some really good features which can be used for processing confocal
images.  The software can run a variety of platforms such as Sun, SGI and HP.
It can handle as large an image volume as the TOTAL memory in the system
(assuming you don't run it on top of a window manager).  The nice thing about
ANALYZE is that it has a lot of features all within one package, so you wouldn't
need to buy separate packages for everything.

        Image formats are not a real problem since all you need to do is to
have a little program (I have one for the BioRad format) which will strip
the original header and create an image-only file.  ANALYZE uses a two-file
format (a .img and a .hdr file).

         Here are some of its features that we use routinely:

        1.  3D volume reconstruction- Different rendering algorithms such as
Voxel Gradient Shading, Fuzzy Gradient Shading, Depth Shading and Maximum
Intensity Projection. Different parameters within each algo can be modified.

        2.  3D volume, surface area and distance measurements.

        3.  Intensity profiles across 3D volume sets

        4.  Reformatting of image sets to create sections in different planes.
For example, a set of Z-series could be easily converted to a set of XZ or YZ
images, or to an image volume parallel to a plane at any angle to the orthogonal
 planes.

        5.  A host of image processing routines such as spatial filtering,
deconvolution, 3D-FFT, surface matching, mathematical morphology etc.  You
can create your own filters or use another image as a filter (e.g. the PSF
of your confocal system).

        6.  Merging of different images to create pseudocolored montages

        7.  Tree tracing program for neuronal trees.

        8.  Screen editing and drawing program for creating displays.  These
can then be printed on an 8x11 video printer or can be converted to raster or
SGI formats and exported to a slide making program.

        9.  Screen show facility to create a video display of the images,
rotations etc.

        10.  Hardcopy options

        11.  Image conversion routines (a little limited, but not a major
problem since most image formats can be converted to either TIFF or Raster)

        The developers of ANALYZE are interested mostly in educational and
research applications for the software. I am not sure what the cost per
platform is.  The person to contact is Dr. Richard Robb in the Dept. of Physiology. His email address is [log in to unmask]  His phone number is
(507)-284-4937.

                               Y.S. Prakash

4-176 Anesthesia Research, SMH                  211 15th St. SE, #205
Mayo Clinic                                     Rochester, MN 55906
Rochester, MN 55905

(507)255-7560/7328                              (507)280-8199

Minnesota is a Land of Many Cultures-  Mostly Throat!

If You Love Minnesota, Raise Your Right Ski!

You Can Grow Three Things in Minnesota- Colder, Older and Fatter!