CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

Date:
Sun, 3 Jun 2012 09:21:05 +0000
Two points come to mind:
1.  The microscope may use the eyepieces to correct aberrations of the objective, in which case by removing them from the system the aberrations will not be corrected.  This is quite common, though lateral chromatic aberration is usually the problem here.
2.  The magnification is not conclusive proof - 1:1 transfer lenses are quite routine.  If there is no transfer lens the CCD chip must be the same distance from the objective as the base of the eyepieces - this should be susceptible to a visual check.

But in any case the cause should easily be determined by looking through the eyepieces!  If the edges are in focus at the same plane as the centre the fault must be in your camera setup.  A very simple high-contrast test specimen (invented by Ron Oldfield) is to lightly (very lightly) smoke a coverslip over a match.  Scratch this a few times to create clumps for easy focussing.  Put it on a slide with a drop of immersion oil.  This is an amazingly effective test specimen for a whole lot of aberrations.  Lateral and axial chromatic aberration, field curvature and astigmatism all stand out like the proverbial canine appurtenances.

                                                      Guy