CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2015

From:
Steffen Dietzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 2015 18:49:34 +0200

Dear Listers,

we are about to fix the details on the equipment for several microscopes
for a new core facility. One thing that came up was the excitation light
source for conventional fluorescence for confocals.

I would very much like to switch to LEDs, therefore we consider Lumencor
"SOLA-SM II - White LED source". An article refered to earlier on this
list (doi: 10.7171/jbt.14-2502-001
<http://dx.doi.org/10.7171%2Fjbt.14-2502-001>) described that light
intensitiy of a SOLA is higher over the whole relevant than a "120 W
metal Halide" lamp (Fig 1,
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3970759/figure/F1/), so this
seemed to be a good choice.

I know however heard from two sources that I consider reliable that the
SOLA has significantly less output in the excitation range of orange and
near red dyes (maybe 540 to 600) than a EL6000 using a HXP R 120W metal
halogenid lamp.

Therefore I would appreciate if you could share your thoughts on and
experience with the SOLA, in particular with orange and near red dyes.

Thanks

Steffen

Steffen Dietzel, PD Dr. rer. nat
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
Walter-Brendel-Zentrum für experimentelle Medizin (WBex)
Head of light microscopy

Marchioninistr. 27
D-81377 München
Germany