CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2008

From:
Julio Vazquez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:48:17 -0700

-
Judy,

"Colocalization Analysis"  can mean everything and nothing.... You
should ask the investigator to explain to you what his biological
question is, preferably in plain English.... this will determine
which method is most appropriate. Does (s)he want to know the
proportion of cells that have all three proteins? the proportion of
cells with protein A, that also have protein B and C?  Does he want
to know in any given cell how many foci are present containing all
three proteins? or maybe what fraction of foci of Protein A are
colocalized (within what distance?) with foci of B and C?  The
percentage of the cell's area/volume containing all three proteins
(above what threshold?), and so on...

Without a specific question you can't provide a specific answer...

--
Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

http://www.fhcrc.org/science