CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 2012

From:
Cameron Nowell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 10:02:58 +1000

Hi Carlos,

What are the specs of the PC you are currently using? A 1.3GB file is
not that large really and should be able to open on a decently spec'd
machine.

My recommendations would be as follows

For 2D analysis - so that's image filtering, segmentation, counting,
measuring, 2d time series.
CPU - Intel Core i7. One of the mid range 4 core (8 virtual) ones will
be sufficiently powerful enough. Going up to more physical cores, faster
cores, or multiple physical CPUs (this includes going to Xeon
processors) will add more potential grunt, but will exponentially
increase the price of your system. The multiple cores of any multicore
system will only be used if the software is capable of using it. Not all
applications are or can be multithreaded. MetaMorph (version 7) for
example only uses one core, while its NX counterpart is multithreaded
(but very limited). ImageJ or Fiji can use multiple cores and you can
see vast improvements in processing time when it does (e.g. in the
Advanced Weka Segmentation plugin).
RAM - this is the key thing to all image processing. If you CPU is a bit
slow things just take longer, if you don't have enough RAM something's
cannot be done. Bare minimum I would recommend is 8GB for very basic
stuff. 16 GB for more advanced and as much as you can fit for anything
else. I have had some processing algorithms take up 15GB of RAM to
process a 1000x1000 pixel image.

For 3D analysis - the spec above plus a high end graphics card. This
doesn't need to be one of the uber expensive Nvidia Quadro or AMD FireGL
workstation cards. It just needs to be a fast gamer card with a lot of
RAM in it. I would recommend Nvidia as then you have access to the CUDA
GPGPU system as well (there are several software platforms that can use
this - Matlab has a toolbox for it). So something like a current gen
Nvidia 680 GTX or 690 GTX with 2 or 3 GB of ram will be more than
sufficient to run anything you throw at it (within reason). Be aware
that a high end graphics card is going to need a lot of power and
cooling. So make sure you get a power supply and system case that is up
to the task.

Cheers

Cam

Cameron J. Nowell
Microscopy Manager
Centre for Advanced Microscopy
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research Melbourne - Parkville Branch
PO Box 2008
Royal Melbourne Hospital
Victoria, 3050
AUSTRALIA