CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2003

From:
Ian Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:43:39 -0700

Not entirely confocal but some of Jim's comments on autofluoresence got me
curious.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a image splitter device, like those from
Optical Insights, being used for performing spectral imaging.  Conceivably if
you equipped the image splitter with appropriate filters, perhaps 20 nm apart,
you could capture 2-4 images on a single CCD camera (I think they have such a
configuration).

With appropriate software for linear unmixing analysis you could have something
analogous to the META system but one that could be configured for different
wavelength ranges by swapping the filters.  Depending on the amount of  light
lost you could have a relative fast, reasonable resolution spectral imager, it
might be a good setup for a spinning disk system..

I dare say the same could be acheived with an emission filter wheel but it would
be somewhat slower.

I'd be interested in hearing about other spectral imaging devices anyone has had
experience with.  I'm familar with Lightform's Pariss, the Zeiss META, Leica's
SP system and BioRad's Rainbow(?).

If I'm overlooking something obvious in the above please let me know.

No particular connection with any of the above companies, just looking to stay
informed.

Ian Clements
Imaging Technology Group
Molecular Probes Inc

"Believing you know something is a most effective barrier against learning".