CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

December 2003

From:
Peter Van Osta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:44:16 +0100

Message forwarded for Guenter K.Valet:

Hi,

     in view of the obvious facts that:
1. the DNA-sequence and functional knowledge on all
biomolecules will not permit the assembly of
living cell from their components
2. the analysis of organ tissue or biopsy specimens by
advanced array technologies typically provides averaged
result for many cells but does not address the discrete reactivity
of  specific cell populations being decisevely important
for particular organ or organismic functions

it seems important and promising to address molecular
principles of cell arrangement and interaction in a human
cytome project. Such a project could bundle advanced
microscopy, image analysis and other multiparameter
cytometric techniques as well as single cell or specific cell group
oriented functional genomics arraying and include multidimensional
bioinformatics. The goal of the project would be to systematically
explore multilevel molecular interrelations within
cytomes as they occur in complex diseases like cancers,
leukemias, cardiovascular disease, diabetes or in the
susceptibility to infection including the detailed search for
new pharmacological access points.

Best regards

     G.Valet

Prof.Dr.Guenter K.Valet
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Biochemie
Cell Biochemistry
Am Klopferspitz 18a
D-82152 Martinsried
Germany
Tel: +49/89/8578-2518, -2525,  Fax: +49/89/8578-2563
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Internet:  http://www.biochem.mpg.de/valet/cellbio.html

--
Met vriendelijke groet,