CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2012

From:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Baddeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2012 14:18:02 -0700

It seems like you've already got lot of good suggestions, but I'll add my two cents and suggest that you err on the side of making sure that the mirrors/dichroics don't fall off. A new mirror is cheaper than a new eye, and quite possibly also cheaper than the time you might spend on realignment if a mirror does detach itself. In my opinion this rules out double sided tape, and other adhesives of similar strength. When working on a home built interferometric microscope we initially used double sided tape to attach mirrors to their mounts, but switched to cyanoacrylate (superglue) once a couple of them had fallen off, sending the laser beam on an unpredictable course and necessitating a whole day spent on realignment. This was special strong double sided tape which was nominally suitable for optics mounting but it still failed. The really insidious bit was that failure occurred about 6 months down the track, and with very little warning. These were
 front surface mirrors on an 8-10mm substrate and we applied the glue over the whole mirror back. In this configuration we didn't see any deleterious effects on wavefront quality, but it could certainly be an issue with thinner dichroics which are only secured at the edges.

cheers,
David