CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2006

From:
Kevin Braeckmans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:58:41 +0200

A notch filter is simply a laser rejection filter which is highly efficient
with an optical density of typically > 6 at the laser wavelengths. Just as
you are typically using band-pass filters to monitor fluorescence within a
certain wavelength window (i.e. block everything except the wavelengths
within the window), a notch filter is a band-stop filter that lets
everything through, except for small bands around the requested laser
wavelengts. In that way you can reject efficiently any laser excitation
photons without loosing precious fluorescence photons.

For the manufacturers it would simply be a matter of putting an extra filter
wheel behind the first dichroic at the emission side with a couple notch
filters for different laser combinations. But personally I haven't had any
problems with reflected laser photons on the confocal so far. It was just an
idea because the problem was mentioned in a previous post.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Kevin Braeckmans, Ph.D.
Lab. General Biochemistry & Physical Pharmacy
Ghent University
Harelbekestraat 72
9000 Ghent
Belgium