CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2000

From:
David Knecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 22:57:22 -0500
Before replacing the scan card, I would try reinstalling the COMOS
software.  We had a problem of the card not being recognized a while back.
Biorad told us the scancard was bad and needed replacement.  I was
unconvinced, because the problem had been getting gradually worse which is
not the chararcter of a hardware failure.  When I reinsstalled the
software, it worked perfectly for some time.  After a month or so, the
problem started up again.  It eventually turned out that the hard drive
controller failed and since we upgraded to a new computer, everything has
worked perfectly for the last 6 months.  I hope your problem is as simple.
Dave

>I have a problem with our Biorad MRC-600 confocal microscope, one that
>renders it useless.  When I boot the COMOS, MPL or similar software, I
>receive the following error message:
>
>ERROR1: SCAN CARD UNAVAILABLE OR NOT RESPONDING CORRECTLY.
>
>This error was initially intermittent, got progressively worse, and now
>appears every time the software is booted.  It is now impossible to control
>the microscope or acquire images. Given the PC is about 8 years old, I've
>tried switching ISA bus slots, cleaned the bus edge connectors on both
>cards (scan card and video card), and transferred it to a newer
>computer.  When all this failed I removed, cleaned (IC cleaning solvent),
>and replaced all the chips that were in IC sockets.  Still no improvement.
>
>Has anyone experienced similar problems with their scan card? Can anyone
>help me with:
>
>(i) any other things I could try to "repair" the card, such as replacing
>the generic bus interface chips on the scan card? The Biorad techs. simply
>replace the whole card, and will not repair the card - despite the symptoms
>suggesting just a dirty contact, broken track or fried component.
>
>(ii) anyone have a card they don't need or use, and are willing to sell?
>I'm hoping there's one lying around somewhere attached to a defunct laser
>or 'scope, that somebody might be willing to sell. Biorad is yet to give me
>a quote, but it looks like costing big $$$$ to replace.
>
>THANKS IN ADVANCE!
>
>Tim Blanche
>Ophthalmology Research Grp.
>University of British Columbia