CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2010

From:
Shane van Breda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2010 09:25:12 -0500

Dear list server members,

I am busy with my MSc and a while back I posted a question about localising
caffeine in tea (Camellia sinensis) leaves. We have made progress with normal
stains but I am ready to start using a confocal microscope and do some
immunohistochemistry work.

I have found three methods I would like to try. I would really appreciate it if I
could get some constructive criticsm on them.

Antibody: Sheep polyclonal anti – caffeine 5mg/ml.

Tracer: Fluorescein thiocarbamyl ethylendiamine (FTC-ED) (30nM/L working
concentration).

Diluent buffer: Na – phosphate buffer (100mM, pH 7.4) containing 1g/L bovine
gamma – globulins and 1g/L sodium azide. (Suppliers recommendation) or just
PBS and BSA is fine.

1.)	Immunostaining of fixed samples:

Samples: Leaf blade containing caffeine, chemically fixed with formaldehyde,
dehydrated with EtOH and embedded in L.R. White or high pressure frozen and
freeze substituted in EtOH and formaldehyde and embedded in L.R. White or
high pressure frozen, freeze dried and embedded in L.R. White.

Procedure (direct labeling) obtained from light microscopy in biology edited by
A. J. Lacey:

1.)	Make sections of +/- 1 – 5µm thick.
2.)	Fix samples to slide using water or buffer (PBS) by applying heat (i.e.
evaporation). Or ‘free float samples’.
3.)	Circle sections using a PAP pen.
4.)	Place slide in humidity chamber (plastic Petri dish with water soaked
tissue and slide raised on a plastic bar).
5.)	Place 0.5% (or 2%?) BSA , PBS on fixed sample for 10 - 15min.
6.)	Rinse in PBS and wipe excess away.
7.)	Place antibody on fixed samples in appropriated dilution i.e. 1:100.
Incubate for 1 hour at room temperature.
8.)	Wash fixed sample in 0.5% (or 2%) BSA in PBS.
9.)	Wash fixed sample in PBS, 0.01% detergent (Triton x100 or Tween
80 in order to reduce the non-specific interaction between the Ig’s and the
proteins in the section.). Remove excess.
10.)	Mark PAP pen marking with a black marker.
11.)	Add a small amount of glycerol antifade mountant (n – propylgallate
or vectashield or 2mg/ml ascorbic acid etc) and add coverslip.

Questions:
1.)	What would be a better buffer to use? PBS or sodium phosphate?
2.)	Is it necessary to work in sterile conditions i.e. autoclave material
etc?
3.)	Do you think there are unnecessary wash steps i.e. steps 6 and 8? I
am worried about washing out the antigen.

2.) Immunostaining of fresh samples:

Sample: Fresh leaf containing caffeine.

Procedure: obtained from a PhD thesis titled Immunological localization of plant
secondary metabolites by Dr. Louise Brisson:

1.)	Make hand sections with a sharp razor blade +/- 1mm thick.
2.)	Adhere sample to slide using water or buffer (PBS) and mark with a
PAP pen or ‘free float samples’ and place slide in humidity chamber as
mentioned in section 1 (step 2 – 4).
3.)	Block using 1% w/v gelatin in PBS (or osmoticum) for 15min.
4.)	Incubate in antibody as mentioned in 1 (step 7).
5.)	Rinse 3 times 3 min using PBS.
6.)	Mount as in section 1 (step 10 and 11).

Questions:

1.)	Should I include a step where the thick sections are incubated in
buffer and formaldehyde as a fixative?
2.)	Instead of using gelatin in step 3 is it ok just to use BSA as in
section 1.
3.)	Is it necessary to include a wash step before incubating with the
antibody i.e. just PBS?
4.)	After incubation should I wash as in section 1 step 8 and 9 i.e. first
with PBS, BSA (or gelatin) then with PBS with detergent instead of 3 times 3
min using PBS?
5.)	There is no step that includes the use of a detergent? Could this be
right? How could the antibody cross membranes then?
6.)	Should I try this procedure as it is?

3.) Immunostaining of cryofixed/cryoultramicrotome samples.

Sample: Fresh leaf containing caffeine.

Procedure: obtained from a PhD thesis titled Immunological localization of plant
secondary metabolites by Dr. Louise Brisson:

1.)	Cut sections as in section 2 step 1.
2.)	Embed in 20% w/v gelatin and rapidly freeze in N2 (l) and section
using a cryo ultramicrotome (+/- 8mm thick). Or use any type of cryo method
to achieve good sections.
3.)	Labeling and fixing to a slide is done as steps 2 – 6 in section 2.

Questions:

1.)	My questions are the same for section 2.
2.)	Is it necessary to include a detergent since the sections are so thin?
Should the detergent only be included as a wash in order to reduce the non-
specific interaction between the Ig’s and the proteins in the section.

Thank you for reading my methods and any comments are welcomed.

Regards,

Shane Vontelin van Breda.
MSc. Biochemistry.
University of Pretoria.