CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 1998

From:
Christian Lohr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 09:08:05 +0100
Dear Michel,

in our lab we calibrate the BCECF signals using 10 µM nigericin (e.g.
from Fluka, Germany). Nigericin is a mycotoxin that permeabelizes the
membrane for potassium and protons. During the calibration the potassium
concentration in the bath is increased to 80 mM to set the membrane
potential to (almost) 0 mV. At this conditions, the intracellular H+
concentration will follow the extracellular H+ concentration. Wolfgang
Nett in our lab has extensively studied the BCECF calibration and
compared the results to pH measurements with pH-sensitive
microelectrodes. This is published in:
Nett, W. & Deitmer, J.W. (1996): Simultaneous measurement of
intracellular pH with BCECF and ion-sensitive microelectrodes in leech
giant glial cells. Biophys. J. 71, 394-402
We have no experience with SNAFL, but in principle it work the same way.

By the way, I did not get the original mail from Ronnie. Some other
members of the list had the same problem, is there something out of
order with the server?

Best wishes
Christian

--