CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2013

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2013 09:56:52 -0500

Hi Guy,

I do not see any slits in the AODs based LOTOS MPEF system published by
Konnerth's lab:

    LOTOS-based two-photon calcium imaging of dendritic spines in vivo.
    <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22976353>

    *Chen* X, Leischner U, Varga Z, Jia H, Deca D, Rochefort NL,
    *Konnerth* A.

    Nat Protoc. 2012 Oct;7(10):1818-29. doi: 10.1038/nprot.2012.106.
    Epub 2012 Sep 13.

    PMID:
        22976353

    Neurons in the mammalian brain receive thousands of synaptic inputs
    on their dendrites. In many types of neurons, such as cortical
    pyramidal neurons, excitatory synapses are formed on fine dendritic
    protrusions called spines. Usually, an individual spine forms a
    single synaptic contact with an afferent axon. In this protocol, we
    describe a recently established experimental procedure for measuring
    intracellular calcium signals from dendritic spines in cortical
    neurons in vivo by using a combination of two-photon microscopy and
    whole-cell patch-clamp recordings. We have used mice as an
    experimental model system, but the protocol may be readily adapted
    to other species. This method involves data acquisition at high
    frame rates and low-excitation laser power, and is termed low-power
    temporal oversampling (LOTOS). Because of its high sensitivity of
    fluorescence detection and reduced phototoxicity, LOTOS allows for
    prolonged and stable calcium imaging in vivo. Key aspects of the
    protocol, which can be completed in 5-6 h, include the use of a
    variant of high-speed two-photon imaging, refined surgery procedures
    and optimized tissue stabilization.

The methods section does discuss a resonant scanner configuration.

Hi Ben,

You wrote,

    Cons:
         High pitched frequency noise emitted form the scanner (which gets louder at lower zoom = larger amplitude)
         The scanner lasts about 4-6 hours at its lowest zoom (1.25x) before giving an error and shutting down.
         We couldn't ever get the bidirectional scan phase to line up perfectly (although we got it close)
         No frequency control, you are stuck at the resonant frequency of the scanner
         Lots of shot noise in live scan mode (although all high speed scanners would have this).

High pitched noise - well duh! The resonant scanner does work like a
pitchfork. I recommend you buy earplugs or noise canceling headsets for
everyone who works in the room.

Error and shutdown:
   option A: complain to Leica that you have a bad instrument, and have
them replace whatever is bad.
   option B: shut down the system every three hours.
   option C: "Don't do that!" - if you avoid lowest zoom, sounds like
you can go longer.

No frequency control: let me repeat: well duh!

Lots of shot noise ... HyD's have about 2x quantum efficiency of the
standard Leica PMTs. If you purchased standard PMTs, find the money to
go HyD's. Also think about using denoising methods to get the most out
of your data. For example, my suggestion that using the median for each
pixel of an odd number of acquisitions (and others on te listserv have
made alternative suggestions to this). Denoising techniques can have a
huge impact on the usefulness of data - especially high speed, photon
limited, image acquisitions. As a current example, Bewersdorf and
colleagues recently published on how to fully characterize sCMOS sensor
noise (which is different than PMT or HyD noise), to enable sCMOS to
kick EMCCD's butt for single molecule localization:

    Video-rate nanoscopy using sCMOS camera-specific single-molecule
    localization algorithms. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23708387>

    Huang F, Hartwich TM, Rivera-Molina FE, Lin Y, Duim WC, Long JJ,
    Uchil PD, Myers JR, Baird MA, Mothes W, Davidson MW, Toomre D,
    *Bewersdorf J*.

    Nat Methods. 2013 Jul;10(7):653-8. doi: 10.1038/nmeth.2488. PMID:

        23708387
    Newly developed scientific complementary metal-oxide semiconductor
    (sCMOS) cameras have the potential to dramatically accelerate data
    acquisition, enlarge the field of view and increase the effective
    quantum efficiency in single-molecule switching nanoscopy. However,
    sCMOS-intrinsic pixel-dependent readout noise substantially lowers
    the localization precision and introduces localization artifacts. We
    present algorithms that overcome these limitations and that provide
    unbiased, precise localization of single molecules at the
    theoretical limit. Using these in combination with a multi-emitter
    fitting algorithm, we demonstrate single-molecule localization
    super-resolution imaging at rates of up to 32 reconstructed images
    per second in fixed and living cells.

http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/v10/n7/full/nmeth.2488.html#supplementary-information
http://www.nature.com/nmeth/journal/v10/n7/extref/nmeth.2488-S1.pdf
In particular, I recommend looking at Supplemental Figure 8 (pdf page
10) - supplemental files are free online.

enjoy,

George

--

George McNamara, Ph.D.