CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1995

From:
Colin Macqueen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 10:01:33 +1000
We are now re-installing Bio-Rad Australia's "replacement" K-Ar laser for I
think the sixth time in just under three years as our original laser is
still  problematical. Invariably it is the red line which fails within
about 50 hours of use. I have put out a goodly number of distress calls and
am only now realising the extent to which there has been a worldwide
problem. Bio-Rad have always acknowledged the extent of MY problem and been
very supportive but for commercial reasons or from genuine lack of
knowledge have not informed me of just how extensive the problem seems to
be.
        Ithink it is excellent that some users seem to have got usage
approaching that of the specifications supplied but I think it is very
important that these users specifically mention the presence and quality of
red line production. Secondly I think it would be very useful for values of
the laser power and anode current readings to be mentioned under these
circumstances.
I routinely have a multi-meter attached to the laser head and during the
course of a days work jot down the laser power and anode current values a
number of times. We have the "cut-out" option on our laser head so will
report if or if not a significant difference in life-time comes about. It
wouldn't take much for there to be an improvement as far as I'm concerned!
                Cheers,   Colin

The Hielander
Colin Macqueen      [log in to unmask]
Confocal Facility   The University of Queensland  Fax +61-7-365-4522