CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2007

From:
"Engstrom, Lars" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2007 06:18:26 -0700

Yes. The chambered coverglass is great for inverted scopes. I have used
the chambered coverglass a lot and have had no problems fixing with 10%
buffered formalin, my fixative of choice. You can probably get by with
most fixatives if you use a small volume and you shouldn't need to fix
cultured cells for very long. The only problems I have had with our set
up is that the end chambers are sometimes hard to image with our
coverglass stage insert and the plastic tab has to be cut off (a change
in manufacturing happened about 2 years ago, not sure why, anyone?). I
usually only use the center 4 wells of an 8 chambered coverglass.

The chambered slides can also be used on an inverted scope but I don't
like the small gap that remains even after removing the gasket and
therefore almost always image in the chambered cover glass with a small
volume of PBS or HBSS and a water immersion objective for higher
magnifications.

Good luck.
-Lars