CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2008

From:
Beat Ludin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 18:17:27 +0200

The dynamic range is defined as the ratio between the largest
detectable signal and the smallest detectable signal. For a small
signal to be detectable,  it needs to be at least as big as the read
noise (that's just the common definition, we're dealing with
probabilities/uncertainties and not with binary true/false here).
Thus the dynamic range is equal to the ratio between FWC (which
obviously determines the largest detectable signal) and the read noise.

BTW, the dynamic range should not be confused with the maximum SNR or
the number of gray levels, because for these, the photon noise (which
is intrinsic to the signal) must be taken into account also.

Beat