CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

June 2011

Date:
Fri, 1 Jul 2011 11:10:46 +1000

Just to add to Craig's post, AOTF-equipped confocals do blank the beam
on the return trace, which significantly reduces bleaching.  Someone in
the early days - I think it was Watt Webb's lab - added a high-speed
shutter to a regular confocal to do the same thing, but I don't think
any microscope manufacturer took it up.  How fast your flyback can be
depends, in principle, on your scan speed but I think a lot of systems
actually scan both directions at the same speed, and of course resonant
scanners can only do that, so the bleaching on flyback can be
significant.  And many years ago I did a bleach test and the vertical
line at the 'turn-round' was quite visible - but I think that's
atypical.

                                     Guy

Optical Imaging Techniques in Cell Biology
by Guy Cox    CRC Press / Taylor & Francis
     http://www.guycox.com/optical.htm
Associate Professor Guy Cox, MA, DPhil(Oxon)
Australian Centre for Microscopy & Microanalysis,
Madsen Building F09, University of Sydney, NSW 2006

Phone +61 2 9351 3176     Fax +61 2 9351 7682
             Mobile 0413 281 861
      http://www.guycox.net