CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2012

From:
Sudipta Maiti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:58:59 +0530

While Guy is right, one must remember that you may have enough laser power to
saturate  fluorophores even while exciting them off the peak wavelength, so
the "60% efficiency" may not matter at all.  Depending on the filter
characteristics, such off-peak excitation may even help in tackling bleed-
through.
Sudipta
  On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 21:43:12 +0000, Guy Cox wrote

> If a given laser line is said to be 60% efficient at exciting a
> fluorochrome, it means that you will get 60% of the number of
> photons you would get if you excited at the optimum wavelength.  It
> does NOT mean that you will get 60% quantum yield.
>
> The two factors that determine how much fluorescence you get are
> 1 Extinction coefficient (how well the fluorochrome captures photons)
> 2 Quantum efficiency (what fraction of photons absorbed give rise to
> fluorescence).
>
> These two factors (which vary widely between fluorochromes)
>  determine much fluorescence you will get at the optimum excitation.
>  At a 60% efficient wavelength you will get 60% of this.
>
> I hope this helps,
>
> 				Guy

Dr. Sudipta Maiti
Dept. of Chemical Sciences