CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 1996

From:
"Dr. Kamiar Moin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 1996 08:26:06 -0500
Carolyn:

The Coherent 653 (AKA Enterprise) is the one that we use with our Zeiss LSM
310 for our UV range work.  We have been using it for the last 3 years.  At
the begining we had some problem with this laser as the beam would drift
substantially to the point that we were not able to see the laser beam at
all.  However, Coherent replaced the laser (three times) and the one that
we have right now seems to work fine.  But, remember that this is a very
powerful laser which generates tremendous amounts of heat.  It is a water
cooled laser which comes with a cooling unit.  You should have a faciliity
with excellent ventilation system and try to vent the hot air output of the
cooling unit to the outside.  Otherwise the heat generated is unbearable
especially during hot summer months.  This problem can become so seriuous
that the heat can couse coumputer malfunctions.  Or you can conect it
directly to your building's plumbing to reduce the amount of heat generated
by the cooling unit.  If you choose this option expect very high water
bills.  Please understand that I am not trying to sway you from buying it,
just telling you what to expect.  Actually I am not aware of any other
laser that can produce quality results as good as the Enterprise.

Sincerely,

Kamiar Moin, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Pharmacology
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Detroit, MI 48201

Tel:  (313)577-0514
        (313)577-1112
FAX: (313)577-6739