CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2002

From:
Kirk Czymmek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 18:46:31 -0400

Hi Ian,

I think that the spectral imaging systems would be very reasonable for the
application of detecting 4, 5, or more fluorophores simultaneously. As has
been stated previously, in the Zeiss 510 META system the signals are
collected via a multi-channel detector that has 32 PMTs and the resulting
emission spectra can be unmixed. It has been my experience with this
technology that having spectrally well separated fluorophores and lasers are
much less of a concern. To get a better feel of how this might work for your
own goals, you might find the following article at
www.biosciencetechnology.com interesting, "Emission Fingerprinting Opens
Door To New Applications In Confocal Multifluorescence Imaging". You may
need to click on "Application Articles" in the main menu bar to get to the
appropriate link. This article shows 4 fluorescent proteins using
simultaneous imaging.

I actually will be trying to image 5 probes within the next few months on
the 510 META and will have a better feel of how this might work in real-life
experiments. I'll let you know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Kirk J. Czymmek, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Biological Sciences