CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2013

Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2013 07:26:18 +0000

Jim,

      This just takes us back to my original calculation.  If we are sampling a million points we need a million times as much light in each spot.  We are not illuminating a ccd, we are collecting a signal from a PMT and putting ALL that signal in one pixel, whatever the size of the area that signal is actually coming from.  So the number of pixels that area would represent is irrelevant - we should not multiply or divide.  I got led astray by trying to follow your argument!

     As the number of pixels in an image of a single sub-resolution dot at Nyquist we both know that the answer is infinity.  So it's purely a matter of semantics.  I have no quibble with 4 pixels across but we can't map a circle of diameter 4 pixels easily on a square grid, so I prefer my version.  There is no light in the dark ring!  As to the lost light from the rings - it's just background noise in the widefield image and losing it in the confocal version is only going to improve S/N, which in the end is what we are after.  And of course if I'm actually taking a resolution test on sub-resolution beads I'd sample at twice Nyquist or even higher.

                                                                                            Guy

Guy Cox, Honorary Associate Professor
School of Medical Sciences

Australian Centre for Microscopy and Microanalysis,
Madsen, F09, University of Sydney, NSW 2006