CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

May 1997

From:
Danny Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 09:19:18 +1000
>      There are a couple of problems that I am not happy about however.
>
>      The biggest one is that you can only print from Photoshop, via the
>export command.  I prefer printing from Freehand;  I like making images in
>Photoshop, but I like adding fairly complex graphics in Freehand and those
>graphics then look pixelated when printing from Photoshop.  This is only
>true when I enlarge the image to fit the print page;  if I leave it small,
>it looks better.  I am wondering if anyone know of any way to alter this
>printer so you can print from something other than Photoshop---macros or
>something like that that you can load?

I don't know whether Fuji provides the technical information needed to
write a driver for Ghostscript so you can make it a network printer, but
the less-convenient but simple approach is to use use FreeHand 7 to export
an image at whatever size you want, eg at the printer's resolution. I'm
appending some of my notes for doing this to our slidemaker at 2048*1366
pixels - you'd want to make up a FH template of suitable size (say A4
dimensions and of a dpi to give the exacy X*Y pixels of your printer).

Caveats:
  1) I've been told Windows FH 7 doesn't have create/PICT
     so maybe one of the bitmap export formats would be appropriate
  2) a lot of RAM can be needed
  3) it won't rasterize any embedded EPS.

cheers,
Danny Thomas

The production of the PICT file from FreeHand is fast, sometimes less than
ten seconds, but it can require lots of memory.  I therefore recommend
using Fury in the computer suite and changing the memory size for FreeHand
to at least 35M; I had to set it to 50M for one file  I think the
requirement comes from the size and number of images in the file.

As with the first time for anything, it's useful taking one file through
all the stages to get familiar with the process.  Once you've gained
experience it is more efficient to process the files in batches, first
FreeHand->PICT and then PICT->TIFF in Photoshop.  Because the end result
will be n*8M of disk space, it is probably best to hold the files on the
Scratch disk.

The process for each slide starts with Select All and check no elements
fall outside the background rectangle.  This can happen because it's easy
to accidentally create empty text boxes in FreeHand.  Remember there's an
XTRA to delete empty text blocks, but it's also easy to create ones wider
than you might think  You might also need to scale everything down so
there's a reasonable margin from the edge.

Now do the conversion to PICT file:
* From the Xtras menu, select Create/PICT Image...
* Check it's set for millions of colours
* Check it's set for No anti-aliasing
* Check it's set for 180dpi resolution.