CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

November 2001

From:
Kolja Wawrowsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Nov 2001 23:20:35 -0800
Computer problems (crashes) can have a wide variety of causes. But there are
some typical symptoms:

1.) The computer freezes, the mouse pointer suddenly stops moving, etc. No
blue screen, no error messages.

-> This is usually caused by a defective memory chip, CPU or main board.
Could also be power related (see below)

2.) All other "soft" problems: Blue screens, crashes during saving, loading,

-> Check the system log file
You can find it under Start->Programs->Administrative Tools->Event viewer
Look for any red dots. Look for malfunction of the AIC... device (SCSI
adapter),
hard drive etc. This gives clear indication for SCSI related problems.

-> Also check for: loose connections of the SCSI chain (external ZIP, CDRW
and other devices)
Is the SCSI terminator plugged in (if no other devices are connected)?
You can buy diagnostic plugs for a few $ that help diagnose SCSI problems.
In my experience most computer problems are related to problems with SCSI.

-> Another (but rare) problem is with NT and networking. If the network does
not
respond promptly, NT sometimes hangs for 20 or 30 seconds. Just disconnect
the
network for a test and see if the problem disappears.

3.) Power related: System does not start, when you press the switch, does
not boot every time, etc

-> check the power (voltages) of the PC power supply (in and out). They have
to be within tight tolerances.

Hope this helps to get you started,

Kolja

Kolja A. Wawrowsky