CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 2014

From:
Julio Vazquez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2014 15:56:21 -0700

Hi Anders,

From our experience with a 510 META a few years ago, I would say that the benefit of online fingerprinting would be primarily for separating two labels that are too close spectrally to be separated with the conventional emission filters. In your case, I have a strong feeling that you will be better off collecting your four channels the normal way on the standard detectors. These will probably give you a better signal to noise, and therefore better data. You can always verify the registration of the channels with some fluorescent beads. In terms of image quality (noise), normal PMTs will probably be better. The META with online fingerprinting might have a benefit with regard to channel registration if you could image your four channels at once (in a single track), but if you need to multi-track, then the benefit is gone.

More specifically to your point, we haven't done unmixing with multiple laser lines. You could either do it in a single track, four channels at once ( so you would need to collect spectra for each dye with all lasers ON), but you would  need to block the laser lines and collect rather narrow bands (for example, if you have a 543 laser, your "green" channel will be pretty narrow). You seem to say you don't have a four line dichroic, so this means you would need to do two tracks at a minimum. How you combine them would depend on your choice of dichroics. You could maybe do DAPI/Cy3 and 488/Cy5, so that laser lines and emission bands don't overlap too much, and you would collect four spectra, one for each dye, under the conditions that you will be imaging them (for example, spectrum of Cy3 with 405 and 543 laser ON, if you will be imaging DAPI and Cy3 at the same time). I don't remember how the unmixing would work in multi track mode. But again, I see no obvious reason why you wouldn't just image your samples in the normal (emission filter/standard P<MT) mode. The imaging will be much simpler, and the data quality probably better.

Julio Vazquez
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Seattle, WA 98109

http://www.fhcrc.org/en.html