CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

July 1999

From:
Jose Feijo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:43:38 +0100
I don't think that neither fluo-3 (or even better the upgraded fluo-5) or CTC will do a decent job in those conditions. CTC is able to detect only membrane-BOUND calcium and therefore of little use outside the cell. All the fluos' and the rest of commonly used calcium dyes are optimized to respond BELLOW the milimolar range (altough some still have some response), precisely where magfura starts. The short answer would be, if imaging is not absolutely demanded, use ion sensitive electrodes, they're much more reliable and easy to use in the first place.
Good luck