CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2012

From:
Eric Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2012 12:29:05 -0400

Dear List,

We are imaging eGFP expressing cortical neuron in explants and would like to find a reporter for cell health that *ideally* could be excited at ~880nm (multiphoton) and would emit around 600nm. We
are moving towards higher magnification, higher temporal resolution experiments and it would be great to have a reporter that could tell us when we are starting to generate photo toxic conditions. Essentially
we want the analog of the "canary in a coal mine". The dye would have to report change in cell status on the order of ~ 1hr, so some measures like nuclear compaction might be too slow?

We have considered a few mitochondrial dyes, calcium dyes and nuclear dyes. So far we think the mitochondrial dyes look the most promising and may try Mitosox (Invitrogen) for this purpose. Before we
get going down this road, we figured that there may be some established protocols in this area and hope that someone could point us towards a protocol or reference.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric C. Olson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Neuroscience and Physiology
SUNY Upstate Medical University
3295 Weiskotten Hall
766 Irving St.
Syracuse, NY 13210