CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

September 2011

From:
Ippei Kotera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2011 00:15:23 -0400

Hi Claire,

It depends on the working distance of the objective you are using. Some
objectives can focus on a specimen a few millimetres away from the lens,
so 1 mm agar on top of a plastic plate wouldn't be a problem. But of
course you'll have reduced NA for longer WD.

It also depends how they prepare samples. Do they need to image moving
worms? If so, they will need some kind of worm-tracking system which
could complicate things more. If the worms are somehow paralyzed for
imaging, then I don't see any reason why agar has to be used. You can
keep them in liquid for a while.

In my case, I place worms in between a cover slip and thin agarose layer
to minimize the working distance and disturbance of worm's locomotion.
With this setup, relatively high NA objective (0.75) can be used for
brighter images of moving worms.

One other note; I use agarose instead of agar because agar has too much
auto-fluorescence.

Best,

Ippei

(11/09/23 21:37),

--
Ippei Kotera, PhD

Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases
Tanz Neuroscience Building, Room 221
University of Toronto
6 Queen's Park Crescent West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H2