CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2004

From:
Eric Mottay <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 12:00:29 +0100

We have done measurements, where , with a 100 femtosecond pulse
duration, the pulse duration after the objective was about 200 fs. With
a 200 fs input pulse duration, the pulse duration after the objective
was 220 fs. This is explained by the fact that longer pulses have a
smaller spectral bandwidth, and therefore experience less temporal
broadening due to dispersion. A 50 fs pulse would experience even more
stretching. Our experience is that, depending on the optical set-up
used, a laser pulse duration between 200 and 300 femtoseconds is a
reasonable trade-off.

Eric Mottay
Amplitude Systemes

--