CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

February 2013

From:
George McNamara <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:01:11 -0500

Hi Daniela,

First paragraph of your discussion states, " ... mCherry (based on our
novel observation of mCherry photoconversion to a red-shifted species)"

where is data on this?

Is this referring to your observation,

"reference spectra for each FP (Figure 1A). Unexpectedly, we observed
that the mCherry spectrum was dependent on the excitation wavelength,
and that 594 nm excitation resulted in ~12-nm-peak red-shift compared
with 561-nm excitation."

which is more likely to be instrument than protein related.

Are you going to add a blue FP?
Are you adding fusion proteins, ex. cyan-yellow (re: CY11.5, CyPet-YPet)
with moderate to high FRET, enabling more colors (if using sequential
scanning ... may also better take advantage of MP/NDDs)?
How about using plasma membrane targeting to outline the cell surfaces?
This would leave a cleaner signal for taking advantage of my Tattletales
concept to multiplex fluorescent reporters and live cells
(http://works.bepress.com/gmcnamara/26/ - best so start with the Feb 5
pdf and ppt).

Sincerely,

George