CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

August 2012

Date:
Fri, 31 Aug 2012 14:39:55 +0000
Hello Aryeh and Listers,
I've seen this several times with argon lasers and there are at least 2 reasons I found which can cause this issue. First, repeated fast live scans, where the live scans are at 1/2 or 1/4 of the horizontal spatial resolution and perhaps too much laser power or the preview is going on for too long. Going to the final scan at full spatial resolution reveals the stripes which are likely just bleach lines. Move to a new field and if there are no stripes, I think this explanation may hold up. Second, if the argon laser is slightly older, and has a rheostat on it for tuning power, I have found adjusting this can alleviate the banding you see. I do not know the exact explanation for why the banding results when this power tuning is off, but I do know that I have been able to alleviate the issue by tuning the rheostat. There may be other reasons like Guy's suggestion, these are just what I have experience with. Good luck. Cheers
Farid.