CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

March 2000

From:
James Pawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:00:05 +1100
>Hello,
>
>I am just starting a new project, a component of which is going to
>involve a fair amount of confocal microscopy, a technique I know
>very little about.  It was suggested to me that I try to find a
>workshop/short course that will teach me everything I need to know.
>I would like to attend such a workshop ASAP.  Does anyone know of
>workshops coming up in the not-too-distant future?  Location is not
>critical, but somewhere in central Canada, or the
>northern/northeastern US would be preferable.  If anyone can help
>me out, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Peter Flett, PhD

Peter,

I hope that you received something like the  ollowing long ago.

As we hadn't heard from you, I wasn't sure.

There were two places empty yesterday.

Cheers,

Jim P.

SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT: UBC LIVE-CELL COURSE: Please register by March!!

Hello all,

The faculty for the 2000 UBC 3D Live-cell Microscopy Course is now set and
we welcome several new faces, including Stephan Hell, Andreas Kriete, Alan
Hibbs, and Steve Potter.  The whole list is below.

o Stephen Adams         University of California-SD
o Ping Chin Cheng       SUNY, Buffalo
o Elaine Humphrey       Univ. of British Columbia
o Stephan Hell          Max Planck, Goettingen
o Alan Hibbs            BIOCON, Melbourne
o Iain Johnson          Molecular Probes, OR
o Larry Keenan          Cell Robotics, NM
o Ernst Keller          Carl Zeiss, Thornwood, NY
o Andreas Kriete        University of Geissen
o Felix Margadant       University of Sydney
o Tim Murphy            University of British Columbia
o Jim Pawley            University of Wisconsin-Madison
o Steve Potter          California Institute of Tech
o Jason Swedlow         University of Aberdeen
o Michael Weis          Agriculture Canada

Basic info is below but you can get the entire brochure, including links to
faculty home pages, at

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/ladic/course/brochure.html

Cheers,

Jim P.

Fifth Annual INTERNATIONAL 10-Day Short Course on

3D Microscopy of Living Cells
June 19 - 29, 2000

Fourth, Post-course Workshop on

3D Image Processing,
July 1 - 3, 2000

Organized by Prof. James Pawley,
(University of Wisconsin-Madison)
(SEE SABBATICAL ADDRESS AT END OF MESSAGE)

in association with Dr. Elaine Humphrey
UBC BioSciences Microscopy Facility:
University of British Columbia
Vancouver, BC, Canada

DATES

Applications must be received by                March 1, 2000
Deposit due                                     April 15, 2000
Registration 5:00 - 7:00 PM             Sunday, June 18, 2000
First Lecture 7:30 PM                 Sunday, June 18, 2000
Live-cell Course ends, noon           Thursday, June 29, 2000

APPLICATIONS DUE BY MARCH 1, 2000

More information at :
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/ladic/course/bulletin.html

or

REGARDING COURSE ORGANIZATION:

Prof. James B. Pawley,    (on Sabbatical)
Room LG 10, Madsen Building, F-09,
University of Sydney, NSW, 2006
Australia

Ph.  61-2-9351-7548/2351
FAX  61-2-9351-7682

REGARDING APPLICATIONS

Dr. Elaine Humphrey,
Biosciences EM Facility
Biosciences Building
Univ. of British Columbia
6270 University Blvd.
Vancouver, BC, V6T-1Z4

THE PURPOSE OF THE COURSE

Modern methods of 3D light microscopy promise a revolutionary improvement
in our ability to view living cells.  To help convert this promise to
reality for a wider selection of biological scientists, an intensive
eleven-day residential course concentrating on all aspects of 3D Microscopy
of Living Cells will be held at the University of British Columbia, in June
of 2000.  The course includes 4 days on 2D techniques, 6 days of 3D
techniques and a summary presentation.  It covers basic microscopy to the
highest level confocal microscopy. (A half-day Pre-course is offered for
any who may need to brush up on basic optics!).

Topics include:
        o Quantitative 2D light microscopy
        o How to keep your cells alive
        o 3D imaging in confocal microscopy
        o Widefield/deconvolution techniques
        o Two-photon excitation microscopy
        o Fluorescent and backscattered light signals
        o Dye design, characteristics and use
        o Pixelation: The Nyquist Criterion
        o Lasers and laser tweezers
        o Objectives and aberrations
        o Scanning-systems: AODs and mirrors
        o Optimal pinhole size/photon efficiency
        o Detectors: operation and performance
        o Video-rate confocal imaging
        o Measuring ion concentrations
        o Display and measurement of 3D data

Morning lecture/demonstrations lead to hands-on laboratory exercises each
afternoon that will utilize most of the commercial instruments currently
available for 3D microscopic imaging.  Students will work in groups of 3 or
4 throughout the discussion and laboratory sessions, and may complete a
live-cell 3D study on their own specimens.  In the first four years, over
100 students from 22 countries have attended. Last year, 11 separate, 3D
microscopical workstations were available for student use under the
supervision of a 17-member international faculty. We expect to have even
more workstations in 2000.  Including manufacturers representatives, the
teacher/ student ratio will be almost 2:1.

INTERNATIONAL FACULTY

        o Stephen Adams         University of California-SD
        o Ping Chin Cheng       SUNY, Buffalo
        o Elaine Humphrey       Univ. of British Columbia
        o Stephan Hell          Max Planck, Goettingen
        o Ted Inoué           Universal Imaging, PA
        o Iain Johnson          Molecular Probes, OR
        o Larry Keenan          Cell Robotics, NM
        o Ernst Keller          Carl Zeiss, Thornwood, NY
        o Andreas Kriete        University of Geissen
        o Felix Margadant       University of Sydney
        o Tim Murphy            University of British Columbia
        o Jim Pawley            University of Wisconsin-Madison
        o Steve Potter          California Institute of Tech
        o Jason Swedlow         University of Aberdeen
        o Michael Weis          Agriculture Canada

TUITION

Course tuition is $2,150 US and includes lunches.  On receipt of 50%
deposit, students will receive preliminary group assignments and the
textbook, Handbook of Biological Confocal Microscopy, (Plenum, 1995).  The
tuition fee includes the textbook, a binder of handouts, and tickets for
the Opening Reception, the Manufacturer's Reception and the Beach Party.
Accommodations and meals other than lunch are not included in the tuition
fee. The Pre-course is $100 US.

APPLICATIONS

Applicants will complete a questionnaire to assess knowledge level and
field of interest.  Enrollment is limited to about 24 participants.
Selection will be made on the basis of background and perceived need.
Those without previous LM experience will be provided with basic texts on
request to read before the course begins and are encouraged to take the
Pre-course on the afternoon of June 18.

Application forms, and other course information from this and past years,
can be downloaded from the WWW site at:

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/ladic/course/bulletin.html

or obtained from:

        Dr. Elaine Humphrey,
        Biosciences EM Facility
        Biosciences Building
        Univ. of British Columbia
        6270 University Blvd.
        Vancouver, BC, V6T-1Z4
        Phone:  1-604.822-3354
        FAX:    1-604.265-5315
        Email:  [log in to unmask]

Application deadlines:

Application forms are due by March 1, 2000!
Deadlines are early to facilitate setting up groups. Successful applicants
will be notified by April 1, and a deposit of 50% must be received by April
15, 2000 to reserve your position.  In general, deposit refunds are only be
possible if your position can be filled from the waiting list.  The
remainder of the fees is due at registration.

Registration 5:00 - 7:00 PM             Sunday, June 18, 2000
First Lecture 7:30 PM                 Sunday, June 18, 2000
Live-cell Course ends, noon           Thursday, June 29, 2000

TEACHING PHILOSOPHY

As befits teaching in an area at the boundary of "what is now  known,"
lecturers have been chosen based on their expertise as scientists working
in the field rather than because they all agree. They are encouraged more
to be provocative than to be prosaic. Students should expect discussion in
areas where differences of opinion exist.

Prior to the course, students will be organized into groups and encouraged
to communicate by email/phone, about the "Living-cell" group projects that
they will pursue during the course and that will be presented to the class
on the last day of the course.   It has been found that group interactions
make best use of students' prior experience and can be very effective in
teaching the practical skills covered in a hands-on course of this type.

ARRANGEMENTS FOR LIVE SAMPLES

Students must contact Dr. Elaine Humphrey to make necessary arrangements
for the transport and maintenance of cell lines etc. needed for their
projects.  Organisms linked in any way with human disease are not permitted
because of safety considerations.  Transport and customs arrangements for
living specimens are entirely the responsibility of the student.
Students also attending the 3D Image Processing Course, may be able to
analyze, process and display some of the 3D data collected from their
specimens

Fourth Annual

3D MAGE PROCESSING WORKSHOP

The workshop will cover 3D image processing for measurement and display.
Enrollment is limited to those attending the 3D Microscopy course.
Tuition :   $850 US  (lunches and snacks incl.)

WHO SHOULD ATTEND?

The course is designed for biologists working with multidimensional and
possibly multicolor microscopical data sets.  Getting the data is only half
of the battle.  Image data in 3, 4 or even 5 dimensions may be difficult to
store let alone analyze or display. This course is to help students
understand the hardware and software aspects of this problem and give them
the techniques they need to make the best use of their data.

The course is designed for biologists who need to make measurements on 3D
microscopical data sets and then display the results in an effective
manner.  The course will be taught on SGI, Macintosh and IBM-compatible
computers. A wide variety of software designed for the 3D microscopy market
will be described, demonstrated and available for use.

Workshop Organizers

o  Andreas Kriete               Giessen University, DE
o  Felix Margadant              University of Sydney, Au
o  Ping Chin Cheng              State U. of New York, Buffalo

PLAN OF INSTRUCTION
Classes will meet from 8:30-12:00 and 1:00-6:00 with lecture-demonstrations
followed immediately by hands-on laboratory sessions using a variety of
workstations.  Students will "learn-by-doing" with two to a  machine.  Lab
handouts will describe some specific exercises to be performed on "canned"
data sets. Facilities and supervision will be available until 11:00 PM, for
students to work on their own data.
Prof. James B. Pawley,    (on Sabbatical)       Ph.  61-2-9351-7548/2351
Room LG 10, Madsen Building, F-09,              FAX  61-2-9351-7682
University of Sydney, NSW, 2006 Australia       [log in to unmask]
Come to the 5th 3D Live-cell Microscopy Course, June 19-29, 2000, UBC, Canada.
Info and forms at: http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/ladic/course/bulletin.html
"A scientist is not one who can answer questions but one who can question
answers."       Theodore Schick Jr., Skeptical Enquirer, 21-2:39