CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

October 2009

From:
John Oreopoulos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:36:20 -0400
I have some confocal z-stacks of cells expressing a fluorescent
protein and I've encountered something I haven't had to deal with
before. I'm wondering what is the best way to subtract the background
signal from a z-stack like this. My problem is that the background is
different for each z-step, peaking a the z-height corresponding to
the bottom of the cells that are in contact with the substrate -
supposedly since this is the height where you have the most
reflection of the excitation light from the substrate itself
backwards to the detector.

Which is better? Should I subtract the maximum background level of
the substrate slice from all slices or subtract the background of
each individual slice from themselves only? Or I could subtract the
average background over all slices from each slice instead of the
maximum value at the substrate slice. Alternatively, should I create
the z-projection and subtract the background of the z-projection image?

Thanks for anyone who can clear this up for me.

John Oreopoulos, BSc,
PhD Candidate
University of Toronto
Institute For Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering
Centre For Studies in Molecular Imaging