CONFOCALMICROSCOPY Archives

April 2007

From:
Vasseur Monique <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:50:12 -0400

Why do you say that glass is a liquid?

Monique Vasseur

Microscopie et imagerie

Département de biochimie

Université de Montréal

C.P. 6128, succursale Centre-ville

Montréal QC    H3C 3J7   Canada

tél. (514) 343-6111 poste 5148

________________________________

De : Confocal Microscopy List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] De la part de Carol Heckman
Envoyé : 11 avril 2007 14:52
À : [log in to unmask]
Objet : Re: Polarization microscopy and birefringence of coverslips

Shalin-

Glass is a liquid.

Carol

	Search the CONFOCAL archive at http://listserv.acsu.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=confocal Dear confocalists,
	  I am planning some polarization based measurements (first with fixed cells and then attempt live cells). It is well known that the objectives for polarization microscope have to pass rigorous tests to ensure that they do not introduce birefringence in the optical path. I wonder whether the same issue holds for cover-slip and slide? We could possibly eliminate slide's birefringence by using two coverslips.

	Has someone produced coverslips that are truly *isotropic*?

	Best wishes,
	Shalin

	--
	My co-ordinates:
	Shalin Mehta, Graduate student

	Mobile: +65 90694182

	"Hindsight is 20/20"

--
Carol A. Heckman, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Microscopy & Microanalysis